Tempura Squash Blossoms
Squash blossoms are indeed edible. They are probably the most delicate summer dish you’ll ever have. The flowers are highly perishable, so commit to cook them as soon as you pick them. You should also familiarize yourself with some plant anatomy before picking as the squash produces both male and female flowers. Pick the male flowers as the female will become the “fruit” of the plant. Full details can be found here.
The blossoms are great stuffed with cheese or just lightly fried. Today, I didn’t stuff them, but I’ve included a goat cheese stuffing recipe if you would like to try it.
- Squash Blossoms
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Rice Flour
- 2 tablespoons Glutinous Rice Flour
- 2 tablespoonsCornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Water
- Package of Spreadable Goat Cheese
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Rosemary
- Ground Sage
- Dried Chili Flakes
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and clean the squash blossoms. Be sure to check the inside for any bugs and dirt.
- Carefully reach inside the flower and remove the stamen from the flower. You can keep the stem, but I cut them off.
- If you are stuffing the blossoms, combine and mix together the goat cheese, rosemary, thyme, sage, black pepper, and little bit of salt. Spoon the mixture into a ziplock bag. If you have a pastry bag, you can use that too…ziplock with the tip cut off works just fine. Pipe the goat cheese into the squash blossoms.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, rice flour, glutinous rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and a little bit of salt in a bowl. Pour in a little bit of water and stir well. If it’s too thick, put more water. If it becomes too runny, add more flour.
- Carefully dip the blossoms into the batter and lightly coat the blossoms.
- Heat a frying pan with vegetable oil. Pan fry the blossoms on medium heat until each side is golden brown. Season with sea salt. Serve and eat them immediately. Enjoy!
- girl-hair likes this
- tglau likes this
- foodie-meets-goodie likes this
- seestephyrun likes this
- emak84 posted this